America’s biopharmaceutical companies are driving the future of medicine through bold advances in genomics, personalized medicine and immunotherapy. The new era of genomics provides better understanding of the genes that can cause certain diseases and equips researchers with the tools they need to tailor treatments like never before. Personalized medicines are at the center of this revolution, offering patients individualized therapies unique to each patient. Immunotherapy is transforming cancer care in new ways by harnessing the patient’s immune system to eliminate the disease or slow its growth. Together, these advancements are helping patients live longer, healthier, and more productive lives.
The Science Behind the Logo
Personalized medicine — sometimes referred to as precision or individualized medicine —is an emerging field of medicine that uses diagnostic tools to identify specific biological markers, often genetic, to help assess which medical treatments and procedures will be best for each patient.
- Personalized medicine may change the healthcare treatment landscape forever. Learn how.
- America’s biopharmaceutical companies are fighting cancer on the front lines with “smart bombs.” Learn more.
- What works for one patient may not for another. See how researchers are at the forefront of treatment.
Immunotherapy is an alternative to traditional treatments, like radiation or chemotherapy, which focus on killing cancer cells directly. With immunotherapy, the body’s own immune system is harnessed to eliminate cancer or slow its growth and ability to spread.
- Immunotherapy offers millions of Americans a brighter future. Read more.
- Innovation is our best weapon in the fight against cancer. Learn how.
Genomics is the study of the genome – or the complete set of genes in the human body – and its function. Genomics provides us with the understanding of how different genes work together and play a role in health and disease.
- Our genetics are involved in nearly every human ailment. Visit the National Human Genome Research Institute to learn more.
- Visit Genetics Home Reference of NIH to learn about the next steps for genomic research and the benefits we hope to uncover.
Ready to Get Involved?
Make your voice heard to protect innovation.